Friday, June 6, 2014

Happy Birthday Virginia Apgar.

If I could have tea with anyone from the 20th century, I'd pick Virginia Apgar. Analytical and compassionate, she is my hero.

I discovered Virginia Apgar when I was sitting in on a medically themed Adventures in Ideas seminar at the University of North Carolina seven or eight years ago. In so many ways she paved the foundation for neonatal and maternal fetal medicine practices today. And she did so in an era when female medical doctors were uncommon. I wish I'd known her.

In many ways, thanks to her work, my son lives.

She saved babies with numbers.  For more on her work and my absolute adoration for her, see this recent post on Hand to Hold's blog.

Happy Birthday, Virginia Apgar. Born 105 years ago tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to hear from readers. Please post your comment below or contact me at momofa23weeker@gmail.com.